Allison Jade "Sonny" Munroe is an actress from West Appleton, Wisconsin who is the titular character and principal protagonist of Sonny With a Chance. When she made a goofy—but apparently amazing—slapstick video and uploaded it onto the Internet, the So Random! crew saw it and wanted her on their show, which coincidentally happened to be her favorite show. She is portrayed by Demi Lovato.
Sonny Munroe had a mother Connie Munroe and an unnamed father in West Appleton, Wisconsin. Sonny used to dislike her nickname when she was young, but now she thinks it suits her (as she said when she met Chad in "West Coast Story"). Sonny became interested in comedy after watching her favorite show So Random!. She wanted to pursue a career and dreams of being a star when one day, she posted videos on the internet of herself doing sketch/slapstick comedy which caught the attention of the So Random! crew. Sonny was sought out by So Random! after one cast member, Mandy, left.
In the first episode, when Sonny was called in to be on So Random!, she might have taken the job of the former cast member Mandy, who has been only mentioned once in the first episode. She also plays a guitar (her guitar case was shown in the first episode and behind her during the theme song, and she played it in the episode "New Girl") and sings. She's usually eccentric, goofy and a bit childish, often admitting to do things that may seem strange to others. Friendly, sweet, and caring towards those around her, she is known as the nice girl of the group and does her best to help other people with their problems and achieve her dreams, earning mixed results. Whenever Sonny lies, her voice rises in pitch (shown in "Battle of the Network's Stars").
Sonny also knows how to drive (heard in Prank'd when she asks the Fashionita caster "do you validate parking?"). Sonny also states that she doesn't like nuts ("Sonny With a Secret"). She's also been to Camp Comedy, as shown in "Sonny with a Grant".
As a new cast member at So Random!, Sonny wanted to make her first impression a good one, which turned out to be quite a task when Tawni wasn't the amazing role model Sonny had always imagined. Sonny is often prone to use extreme measures to get her desired outcome, like when she pretended to be her own biggest fan, leading to her tricking the entire cast and even dressing like a guy. Still, Sonny is a nice, caring, intelligent, helpful, often goofy, eccentric person, if somewhat naive. It was mentioned in the episode, "Sonny With a Secret" , that she has rescued baby seals from an oil spill, bathed them by hand, and nursed them back to health. She's also got a strong moral standing against lying, as she's not too great at it and usually ends up blurting out the truth, no matter how embarrassing the truth may be.
- When Sonny With a Chance was in working stages as Welcome to Mollywood, Sonny's name was Molly, and when the show's name was changed to Welcome to Holliwood, her name was Holli. It was changed again, this time to Sonny With a Chance, about a month before Disney Channel started making promos about the show.
- Sonny and Tawni are the only characters to appear in every episode of Sonny With a Chance. Sonny has also been in almost every So Random! sketch.
- Sonny's first sketch was One Bad Bee/Siss-Boom-Buzz.
- Sonny became a fan of MacKenzie Falls.
- Sonny is Team Fredric from the Tridark Saga.
- She has received three signed pictures of Chad, with each picture addressed to her in a different way. In "West Coast Story", she was addressed as Sonny; in "Tales From the Prop House", Chad wrote "My Biggest Fan" instead; and in "Falling for the Falls", Chad addressed her as "M'Lady" and she Acted like a Chicken.
- Sonny was a Blossom Scout when she was eight years old, but was not able to complete her final merit badge and become a full-grown Blossom until Chad helped her in "Cookie Monsters".
- It is revealed in "Sonny With a Secret" that Sonny does not like nuts.
- It was mentioned in the episode, "Sonny With a Secret", that she has rescued baby seals from an oil spill, bathed them by hand, and nursed them back to health.
- She has changed her appearance 3 times. First, having darker hair, a tan, and lighter hair.
- Sonny plays the guitar and the piano, she can also sing and write her own songs.
- Sonny (Demi Lovato) didn't return for the spin-off show, So Random!, due to Lovato's decision to focus on her music career because she believes that returning to acting immediately after exiting rehab wouldn't help her recovery. There has been no explanation for why Sonny has left So Random!, although a possible one is she's needed to help with a family medical emergency back home in Wisconsin.
- In Spanish and Portuguese, her name is “Sunny” instead of “Sonny”. There is no confirmed reason for the change.