"Dancing With The Devil" is the lead single and second track from Demi Lovato's seventh studio album, Dancing With The Devil... The Art Of Starting Over. It was released on March 26, 2021 through Island Records.
Background and composition
"Dancing with the Devil" was featured in the trailer for Lovato's 2021 documentary Dancing With The Devil and is the second track from her album Dancing With The Devil... The Art Of Starting Over. The song begins with currently recovered Lovato chronicling her 2018 relapse, which would lead to her near-fatal overdose later that same year. The verses open with lyrical content that reflect the initial phase of the relapse, which was primarily with red wine: "It's just a little red wine, I'll be fine/ Not like I wanna do this every night/ I've been good, don't I deserve it? I think I've earned it/ Feels like it's worth it in my mind." The second verse describes her introduction to heavier drugs: "A little white line" that eventually became "a little glass pipe." Ultimately, Lovato finds herself addicted to smoking heroin and sings, "Tinfoil remedy almost got the best of me." She also confesses to her fans and loved ones in the pre-chorus that during this time, "I told you I was OK, but I was lying." In the track's chorus, Lovato refers to her past overdose directly, singing that she "almost made it to heaven" by "playing with the enemy / gambling with my soul." Lovato also sings about the grip addiction had on her and the psychological difficulty it had imposed, singing throughout the song "It's so hard to say no / When you're dancing with the devil".
Prior to its release, "Dancing with the Devil" was described by Shana Naomi Krochmal of Entertainment Weekly as "evok[ing] Adele's "Skyfall" theme." Billboard described the song as "powerful" and "confessional."
- Pitchfork - Demi Lovato Releases New Song "Dancing With the Devil": Listen
- Billboard - Demi Lovato Reveals in 'Dancing With the Devil' She Suffered Three Strokes, Heart Attack After OD: Watch
- Hollywood Reporter - Demi Lovato Chronicles Relapse, Overdose in New Single, "Dancing With the Devil"
- Independent - Demi Lovato sings about 2018 overdose in new song 'Dancing with the Devil'
- Good Morning America - Demi Lovato drops new song, 'Dancing with the Devil,' about struggles with addiction
- People - Demi Lovato Sings About Relapse, Nearly Fatal Overdose in Powerful Song 'Dancing with the Devil'
- Entertainment Weekly - Demi Lovato breaks down 11 songs from Dancing With the Devil... The Art of Starting Over
- Billboard - Demi Lovato Shares Confessional Song 'Dancing with the Devil': Stream It Now
Dancing With The Devil... The Art Of Starting Over
Credits · Certifications · Charts